Kier Construction - Bevan Health & Wellbeing Centre
Kier Construction Western and Wales are proud to present The Bevan Health and Wellbeing Centre in Tredegar. Our most recently completed £19m, state-of-the-art build commissioned by Aneurin Bevan University Health Board was handed over this month. This incredible facility will allow patients to access a wide range of health and wellbeing services under one roof in the heart of their community.
The Bevan Health and Wellbeing Centre scheme, sitting within Tredegar’s Conservation area, comprises the comprehensive redevelopment of the previous health centre site as a new flagship facility which maintains the original 1904 twin-gabled range. The earliest and most significant element of the complex where Aneurin Bevan spearheaded the creation of the NHS in 1948.
The new Health and Wellbeing Centre includes general medical services, general dental services, pharmacy, ancillary clinical and office space, shared areas for community use, revised access, car parking, landscaping, and ancillary works, bringing vital and much needed facilities together in one place for the local community.
Kier is proud to have paid homage to the history of Tredegar throughout the process of the build with community benefit activities including:
- International Welsh artist, Nathan Wyburn, hosting several art workshops to pupils attending all five Tredegar primary schools and Tredegar Comprehensive School. The pupils’ artwork has been incorporated into bespoke pieces installed within the new build.
- Capturing history with BBC Wales. The team welcomed camera crew to site after discovering a 120-year-old time capsule buried within the foundations of the old build. The BBC exclusive was broadcasted on BBC iPlayer celebrating the history of the town.
- Kier celebrated 75 years of the NHS with the schools by hosting a time capsule activity, all five primary schools were invited to participate.
- Creating over 30 new jobs in the area & 20 weeks of work experience
- Engaging with Coleg Gwent students especially plumbing and bricklaying department to enhance skills of young people in the area.
- Supporting community healthcare and wellbeing initiatives including donating a defibrillator device to a community following a local fatality in partnership with South Wales Ambulance Service, repairs work to local senior’s community hall and donations to local Women’s Aid & Tredegar football club.
With the retained ‘Heart Building’ standing as centrepiece of the building, this scheme will be a lasting symbol for the NHS and Aneurin Bevan in Wales.