RSAW conference – Practice makes Perfect – Cardiff
9th December 2011
Title: RSAW conference – Practice makes Perfect
Date: Friday 9th December 2011
Location: Chapter, Market Road, Canton, Cardiff CF5 1QE
Time: 8.45am – 16.35pm
Cost: Delegate rate for day conference: £75 + VAT (£90) Earlybird discount £65 + VAT ( £78 inc) (book by 20 Nov) Student rate £10
Download: Flyer & Booking Form
This year’s RSAW conference will consider the way the delivery of design has changed over recent years and how the established models of architectural practice are unravelling and re-making themselves.
We’re beginning to look at themes around certain questions:
• As the recession continues to bite, how are emerging architects finding new approaches to winning and carrying out their work?
• How are the established players reacting to the new challenges?
• Are the old models for building architectural practices out of date?
• Do we need to be looking at new, more flexible ways of making design happen?
• Is collaboration the answer?
The 2011 RSAW conference will bring together experts from across the UK to look at these issues:
• Christine Murray, Editor of The Architects Journal will chair the conference, as well as speaking on the issue of why print publications still count when it comes to winning clients and influencing people
• Fran Balaam/ Michael Corr (Pie Architecture) will consider how the new generation are changing the practice of architecture
• Su Butcher (Just Practising) will talk about the importance of 21st century media which is changing the way we work and can give architects a voice
• RIBA Stephen Lawrence Prize 2011 winner Phil Coffey (Coffey Architects) will talk about surviving and winning in the current financial climate.
• Young Architect of the Year David Kohn (David Kohn Architects) will touch on incompleteness, coincidence and how that determines the future.
Break-out workshops with:
• Edmund Fowles / Fergus Feilden (Feilden Fowles) – Starting a practice in the recession
• Lorna Parsons – how to make social media work for you
•Micheal Holliday + Chris Hall (Roots Design Workshop) – exploring the concept of Archivan, the architect’s mobile office
• Andy Thomson (BCA Landscape) – It is not down on any map; true places never are…
Inspiration Hour by Deborah Saunt (DSDHA). Through her experience as an award-winning practitioner; her role on a range of juries (current chair RIBA awards, Olympic Delivery Authority 2008, American Institute of Architects Awards 2007; RIBA Gold Medal 2006; RIBA Presidents Medals 2006), her TV and radio broadcasts and widely published writing on architecture, Deborah is well placed to comment on how the delivery of design is changing.
This event is the only dedicated conference and exhibition for the architectural profession in Wales and attracts around 150 decision-makers and practitioners. The RSAW Conference provides a unique networking forum that shares and compares best practice, expertise and experience.